Saturday, January 24, 2015

Twenty-Something Resolution, Week Three

I did TWO new things this week!  Does that mean I can take next week off?

First, I'll start with what happened on Wednesday that I haven't had time to write about yet.
There is a Music Therapy intervention that our team have all been trained in, but we haven't been using it, because of concerns regarding the research to support the effectiveness and validity of the intervention.  This week, my colleague and I met with the therapy team, along with a distinguished Music Therapist for extra support, to discuss beginning a program to initiate using this intervention in our hospital.  It was the first time I was able to discuss/propose a Music Therapy program, and definitely one of the first times I felt confident in what I know.  It was all very grown-up.  Afterward, we were exhausted and energized all at the same time.  There's still more work to be done, but we are excited.

Second, I went to Montgomery this weekend.  I've never been to Montgomery, but I didn't really get to explore much.  I went for the Alabama Music Educator's Association (AMEA) conference.  Since August, I have been playing in a group called Alabama Winds.  This group consists of band directors and music educators across the state (including my own high school band directors), as well as retired music educators, and the occasional member without a Music Ed degree (such as myself).  It has been an absolute pleasure playing with them, and this year, we had the honor to play a concert at AMEA.  It was an amazing concert to play, filled with much musicianship and artistry.  We even got to play with Tom "Bones" Malone, who played with the Blues Brothers and on The Late Show with David Letterman (I think, I don't really know who hosts which show...)  Anyway, it was magical and I love to play my horn, and I have been so blessed to be able to play with such talented musicians.

Hooray for music!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome!!!! I wish I still played music. I have brought it up to Josh that I want an upright piano and will buy a used one one day, but we have to get the floors and ceilings done first before I use a ton of money to buy a piano haha

    ReplyDelete