Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Twenty-Something Resolution, Week Nine

LATE POST!!  Actually, I kinda missed the whole month of March.  But I did not miss out on my task, just the documentation.  It'll come.

Anyway, the first week of March brought not so much a "new thing" but an "out of my comfort zone" thing.  As you might know, I have been working part time as a Music Therapist at a children's hospital for about a year and 4 months, in addition to my full time job as a Music Therapist at a university hospital.  Every year in March, the children's hospital holds a memorial service for the beautiful patients that pass away every year.  This is my second memorial service to participate in, but this was the first one in which I knew the children being remembered and honored.  It was a beautiful service, and I felt so humbled to be a part of this beautiful day.

I had a little band of musicians, and we practiced for several weeks.  We performed "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty during the service.  The emotions were overwhelming and as I was singing the words, "you belong in that home by and by..." I almost lost it.  These kids were amazing, so full of love and life, and so resilient and hopeful.  It was powerful to look out at their loved ones, and realize that they graciously allowed me to be a part of their children's lives during their journey, and now during their healing journey.

Near the end of the song, I cried.  In front of everyone, still on stage, still performing the last chords of the song, tears were rolling.

You can't do this job and not be come away changed!  I am so thankful for the opportunities I have to be changed by my patients and their families.

No comments:

Post a Comment